Saturday, May 5, 2007

Here is exactly why I hate FSN



The K-State vs. KU baseball game is supposed to be shown live nationally on Fox Sports Net today. All my listings here in Houston show "College Baseball: K-State vs. KU" at 3:00 p.m. on channel 31. I was psyched. I studied my ass off this morning so I could watch the game at 3. Then I turn the TV on, and I get...

The fucking Astros.

Not even their 13-0 ass kicking of St. Louis. The game was already over by 3. But freaking Astros live, which does nothing more than allow a bunch of 10th-rate announcers go on TV and talk to a bunch of pro baseball players for an average team in one of the worst divisions in baseball. Apparently we have to cover every aspect of today's yawner in STL. I can sum it up in 5 seconds, and I didn't even watch the game: The Astros played really well, the Cardinals played like smelly butthole. From the score, that's pretty much the gist of it.

And yet, a game that is supposed to be nationally broadcast is pre-empted in my area for a bunch of pointless coverage. This is exactly why FSN should not be the primary (or, God forbid, the sole carrier of Big 12 football games). I'd hate to think of the coverage of potential recruits we could lose if FSN Houston decides it's more important to show some preview of their shitty-ass NFL team's Sunday game rather than a college football game that might be worth watching. You know, it's not like there aren't a million good football recruits in Houston or anything...

And yes, I realize that even the piss-poor Texans are more interesting to the average Houstonian than a K-State football game. Certainly the Astros are more important to 99 percent of Houston than the Sunflower Showdown baseball game. That's not the point. The point is this is supposed to be a national broadcast, and yet in one very important recruiting market for K-State, our game isn't being shown because of our shitty TV deal.

Come on, Kevin Weiberg. Step up and get us a worthwhile carrier for our games. We can't wait much longer, unless we want the Big 12 to be considered on a level with Conference USA.

No comments: