Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rough day in Hutch


All the good feelings from yesterday's strong showing at the Big 12 championships disappeared like a fart in a Kansas windstorm today for the K-State men's golf team. The best the team could manage today was Kyle Yonke's 75, which led to a disastrous 311 team score and a ninth-place finish. Yuck. At least the Cats salvaged bragging rights (by one whole shot) over the team from that school down the Kaw.

The weather reports indicate it wasn't a very enjoyable day for golf in Hutchinson, as the players were pulled off the course a little after noon because of lightning in the area. Apparently the delay only lasted about 25 minutes, but if the radar is any indication, it was a pretty soggy afternoon at the Dunes. For complete results, check out Golfstat's leaderboard. The board may indicate Oklahoma State won yet another team title, but I'll agree with OSU's Coach McGraw in his statement that Prairie Dunes was the real winner. Ouch.

Dear God it's a boring time in K-Stateland right now. You know there's not much going on when the Manhattan Mercury hasn't updated the K-State sports section of its Web site in two days. I guess that's better than having to talk about athletes getting arrested for bar fights in Aggieville, but it sure does make for a boring blog space.

To help with the boredom, send me a message if you have any particular question or topic you'd like me to write about.

In non-athletic K-State news, band director Frank Tracz has been named one of the nation's top 10 music educators. An award well-received in my opinion, as I've known people who've worked with Dr. Tracz at K-State and elsewhere, and from all accounts to me he's a good guy and teacher. He directed the Nebraska high school all-state band in 2004, where my dad recalled him bragging about our win over Mizzou in Bill Snyder's last game by saying, "Well, they threw an interception to our linebacker who runs the 40 in about 4.7 days." Just the fact that he was able to interact for three days with a bunch of Nebraska high school students (yeah, I'm making fun of myself there, because that was me at one point) should be enough to earn him an award.

Have a great Wednesday. I hope there will be more news to report on tomorrow.

(Prairie Dunes photo courtesy http://www.golfclubatlas.com/prairiedunes000247.html)

No comments: