Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Spring football update

What a slow Tuesday. You know it's slow when I read quotes from a press conference in order to find something to write about.

Reading coach-speak during spring football and trying to figure anything out about your team's chances during the fall is about as worthless as a promise of loyalty from a college coach these days. I suspect even the head coach of Louisiana-Lafayette claims his team's prospects are looking up during spring practice.

I can only cull a few discernable improvements from K-State's spring practice thus far. It appears Alesana Alesana (yeah, that's his real name) has been a nice addition on the offensive line this spring. We can certainly use the help after the injury bug bit the OL hard and often last year, and has continued on this spring with Brad Rooker and Nick Stringer missing time. If the OL comes together this spring and on into fall camp, we may be able to put up 150 yards total offense on Auburn's defense in the season opener. Sorry, but I'm not at all optimistic about that opening road trip.

In other news, it appears the Lynch Mob will be switching to a base 3-4 set. That's not exactly breaking news, I know. I'm not sure how I feel about this, as I'm not exactly an X's and O's expert in football. There has also been talk of moving last year's Big 12 tackles-for-loss leader and the Houston Chronicle's defensive player of the year, Ian Campbell, from defensive end to outside linebacker. Now granted Campbell is a little undersized for DE at 6'5" and 232 lbs., but it seems changing something that worked so well is a big risk. I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong if I am, but I'd rather have Campbell on the OL wreaking havoc in the opponent's backfield than learning a new position where he may be less effective.

In other news, it has been reported that redshirt freshman Carson Coffman may push sophomore Josh Freeman for the starting position. Umm, yeah, and I'll probably be elected governor of Texas. I hope Coffman is a serviceable backup, but we better do everything in our power to protect Freeman.

All right, that's enough of that. I better move on to other topics before I fall asleep.

***

The college basketball coaching carousel is starting to slow down a little bit. Both Arkansas and Texas A&M have named head coaches, which ends what little speculation there was (outside of Lincoln) that Doc Sadler might be chosen to fill either of those positions. A&M today introduced Mark Turgeon as its new head coach. Good call by the Aggies, as Turgeon is probably the lowest-risk coach who was reasonably available to the Aggies. He's a tireless worker and fearless (went on the road early this year to George Mason, LSU, Syracuse and Wyoming). He has the benefit of returning three starters. Now, if he can convince the top recruit in Texas, DeAndre Jones, to honor his commitment to the Aggies, he could have the Aggies back near the top of the conference standings next season.

***

An Internet rumor is now circulating that KU guard Sherron Collins may transfer from KU to DePaul. Of course, an Internet rumor is worth about as much as a cold bucket of piss, but it would be quite a blow if the beaks lost Julian Wright, Brandon Rush and Collins.

I sure hope tomorrow is more exciting.

No comments: