Monday, April 16, 2007

Why does this happen?



I'm sure there's some sports news going on somewhere, but I flat-out don't care today. By now I'm sure you've all heard what's going on in Blacksburg, Va. Unfortunately, you'll all remember this day, where you were, what you were doing, who you talked to. The worst shooting in United States history. Let me repeat that: the worst shooting EVER in United States history.

I suppose I'm denying a reality that we all just have to deal with, but I've been disappointed by how some of this has been handled. On the one hand, I'm impressed by the outpouring of support on the Internet and elsewhere for those affected by this. On the other hand, some people can't just leave well enough alone.

Let me take this opportunity to express my condolences to the families involved. I won't pretent I can imagine what it's like to deal with something like this, because I can't. But I hope everyone knows the country, including the Purple Nation is behind them.

Now, to my gripe about this. I know we have a fascination with getting the most up-to-date information as soon as possible, but I'm disappointed in my media brethren (I was a communications major). I understand there's a discrepancy in the timeline, and the university didn't lock down the campus, and we don't know if there was one shooter or two, and on and on and on. This is NOT the time to deal with those questions. This is a time to get the basic information, and wait a while before we start digging into the how and why of something like this. Look, maybe after the first shooting in the dorm, the whole campus should have been locked down for the entire day. However, I doubt anybody feels worse about the decision than the university president and the police, and I'm sure if it's justified, they'll get their just comeuppance in due course. I was particularly disappointed in listening to the news conference and the flippant questions asked by that jackass from some nearby university.

I was also disappointed by the initial reaction from President Bush, released through a spokesperson. He said he "believes there is a right to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed." Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against gun ownership. Hell, I live in Texas. Let's just say I find the timing a little poor to make a statement concerning the right to own guns when someone with guns just killed 33 people (at least). I had the same feeling two years ago when Katrina leveled New Orleans and the Democrats immdiately criticized Bush's response. Let's make sure we take care of everything vitally important to helping the victims before we start assessing blame and making political statements.

Anyway, that's my $0.00 on the situation.

Oh and by the way, the Bat Cats lost, 9-6 in Stillwater today.

No comments: