Friday, June 29, 2007

Tribute to Big 12 Fanbases, Part I: Nebraska


As I mentioned previously, I intend to tour the ridiculousness that often comes with being a fan(atic) of any sports team by creating a tribute to each Big 12 fanbases indiscretions and funny photos. And yes, I will include K-State, so don't think I'm a total homer. Just so you know, I also intend to go through my favorite traditions from each Big 12 team as well, so you'll get the good with the bad.

Moving on, the first team to be chronicled is the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Maybe it's just because I'm from there that I'm more familiar with some of the more ridonkulous things they do, but maybe it's because they hold themselves out as somehow different from other fans. For example...



You have to look close, the the text across the middle of the pictures says, "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football." That's where it begins with Nebraska. They believe they have the greatest fans in college football. It even says so on their stadium. And undoubtedly, most of my family and friends up there are as nice as anyone you would ever want to meet, and cheer on their team just like anyone else. But Husker fans forget their fanbase is, as a whole, not all that different from any others. For example...

"Sal is dead. Go big red." (Note: The video doesn't show anyone chanting that, or the bumper stickers that said it. It happened in 1990, before digital cameras where we took pics of everything, and I can't find any pictures of it.)

There's no defense for this, Huskers. You can tell me you hate Colorado (even though they're 'not your rival'), how they're a bunch of immoral, elitist bastards, but making light of the death of a 21 year old due to cancer is evidence of a pretty sad existence. Granted, K-State fans have made some equally pathetic remarks about Brook Berringer, but Snyder Stadium doesn't proclaim us the greatest fans in college football.

Ok, you may say, that's one (albeit a bad one) isolated example of bad fans being bad fans. Oh, but there's more, and a more recent incident. For example...



The cartoon is dumb enough, but I'll give it a pass because the kid claimed he was making a point about the antics of the Memorial Stadium crowd and KU fan's "Our coach can eat your coach" shirts. The point is, an injured KU player lay motionless on the field for something like 10 minutes, temporarily paralyzed, and Husker fans DID THE WAVE! Lord knows it can get boring up there, but if you really need something to do, go buy some Valentino's pizza or read your program.

But in Nebraska, it's not always that bad. Sometimes it's just funny. For example...



If I have to explain this, then maybe you shouldn't be reading this. I like hats. I love hats. I have way more hats than I will ever need. But I cannot understand the allure of spending $20 on a giant piece of foam in (roughly) the shape of a corn cob, and then wearing it around, much to annoyance of those in front or and behind you.

I'll end with one of the greatest representatives any university could ever hope to have, a true native Nebraskan (although I suspect the accent is fake) and a big Husker fan...



Now I'll admit, I thought Larry the Cable Guy was funny...initially. But his jokes get old. How many times can you joke about farts, and poop, and your ugly/inbred family, and accidentally dating your sister?

So there you have it. Part I of this 12-part series is complete. Stay tuned in the coming days as I move through the rest of the conference.

P.S. For a more complete list of Husker hilarity, drop in on AJ. He actually made a list.

No comments: