Saturday, July 7, 2007

Special Tribute to a Special KU Fan

Apparently one tribute to KU fans wasn't enough, because I found a KU fan to top them all tonight. I was bored and flipping channels when I came across the World Rock Paper Scissors Championships on ESPN. Now first of all, the mere fact that ESPN is showing Rock Paper Scissors indicates the sad state of ESPN broadcasting these days. Even worse, the announcers and participants were trying to pass the game off as a strategic sport.

Hold on a second.

Ok, done with hysterical laugh.

So anyway, it was one of those things that was so pitiful I couldn't help but watch. Plus, they have their own hotties for paper, rock and scissors.







So anyway, back to the point. Similar to the World Series of Poker, ESPN likes to do profiles of the competitors. One of them was of one Antoine Manuum. After a while, two things became clear...

1. Manuum was a KU big fan. He wore KU shirts in several scenes of the profile. If you don't believe me, watch the replay on July 14, 4:00 p.m. on ESPN2.

2. Manuum has some sort of severe personality disorder.

I would try to describe it, but a picture is worth a thousand words.







In case you couldn't tell, the back of his boxer's robe reads "Antoine Shears Manuum." That's right, in the ultra-violent sport of rock, paper, scissors, we have intimidating nicknames like "Shears."

So let's break this down. Here is a guy, who competes in the silliest non-sport I've ever seen, and does it while dressed in a boxing robe and oven mitts (because his "hands are too hot"). Mere words cannot express my incredulity upon viewing this on ESPN tonight.

The molly may be pure in Manhattan, but the grass is undoubtedly laced in Lawrence.


(This picture bears absolutely no relation to this post, but whenever I'm ripping on KU, I feel obligated to post it.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Nicely done...

Anonymous said...

Way to spell my name wrong several times after reading it directly off the screen. Then again, I wouldn't expect a wildcat to have attention to detail, or anything for that matter. Also, there was mainly humor in that hour long special. Anybody could see that. Except for the ever exciting K-Staters. In truth, the only thing funny at K-State is the town it is in. So please don't be angry at me on national TV just because everone in this country has forgotten about the most worthless little town in all of Kansas. Way to go Aggieville!! I think I would have more fun with a dark closet and a tall bottle of cyanide. I could go on more, but I already feel sorry enough for you and everyone attending K-State.

Love,
The Shears

TB said...

my deepest apologies, shears.

Love,
TB