Saturday, July 7, 2007

Tribute to Big 12 Fanbases, Part V: K-State


(If you don't know what this is about, read this first.)

I have promised I am not a total homer, and today you shall see I am a man of my word. It's only fair that if I point out the flaws in other Big 12 fanbases to point out the flaws in my own. Obviously, I'll probably be a little more constructive in my criticism, but it's my blog, so you just have to deal with that. As such, today I proceed with my self-immolation.



My biggest frustration with K-State fans, particularly students (I was one, remember) is an attitude of rebeliousness for the sake of rebeliousness. I'm not a conformist, but if you're going to rebel, have something worth rebelling against. And no, your "right" to yell the f-bomb in place of "hell" during the "Hey" song at home football/basketball games is not a worthwhile cause. By doing so, you're not standing up for your free speech rights, you're being an asshole. Those athletes from the opposing team are not more intimidated by you yelling "We're gonna beat the fuck outta you!" than they are by you yelling "We're gonna beat the hell outta you!"

Furthermore, don't tell me you're standing up for tradition. I came to K-State in 2002, and it was "hell" until about my junior or senior year, when the f-bomb started to leak into the song. Don't forget, there are children at these athletic contests, and if there's one thing that pisses me off it's using foul language in front of kids.

Because I took Nebraska fans to task for "Sal is dead, go big red!" it's only fair that I should recognize such despicability in my own fanbase. I won't dignify the link by posting it, but let's just say some K-State fans used their stunning Photoshop skills to make some thoroughly inappropriate farks of deceased Husker quarterback Brook Berringer. I understand that we can't stand Nebraska because they beat us down for years and now hate us because we had the audacity to become competitive with them, but there's no excuse for this.

Also, why use Brook Berringer as a target? He was a Kansan, and was a good person. If you're going to be a jerk, at least take on somebody like Lawrence Phillips or Christian Peter, who are worthy targets of scorn.

Finally, with a citation to PB over at Burnt Orange Nation, I offer the following videos, ostensibly produced by a fan of K-State athletics.





There are more, but that's all I really felt like posting.

Now, let me admit that I'm not nearly talented enough with videomaking equipment to make these videos. But dear God, what's the point of them? When I watch them, I don't think "Man that makes me proud to be a K-State fan!", but rather I think "Where's my crystal meth?!" (***Note, I do not use illegal drugs***) I can't really comment on whether the molly is pure in Manhattan, as PB believes it to be, but videos like that give me little reason to doubt him.

There you have it. Football season really needs to hurry up and get here.

No comments: